Abu Bekr Shrine
Abu Bekr Temple was organized in March, 1907, with a nucleus of 30 Nobles living in Sioux City. Since that day 87 years ago, has grown to a membership of more than 2,600 in a wide area encompassing much of Western Iowa, 2 counties in NW Nebraska, and 2 in SE South Dakota.
The first ceremonial was held on October 17, 1907, when the first class of novices crossed the burning sands. With the first initiates and other Shriners who had settled in Sioux City, the charter membership of Abu Bekr Temple reached 400. Almost immediately a Foot Patrol was organized under Capt. Charles A. Borman to represent the Temple at the Imperial Session in St. Paul in 1908. Today there are 24 organized uniform units of Abu Bekr Temple and eight Shrine Clubs.
Abu Bekr originally included only Sioux City Shriners, but by action of the Imperial Council in June, 1922, the jurisdiction was enlarged to include 22 counties in Western Iowa. They are: Lyon, Osceola, Dickinson, Emmet, Sioux, O’Brien, Clay, Palo, Alto, Kossutb, Plymouth, Cherokee, Buena Vista, Pocahontas, Humboldt, Woodbury, Ida, Sac, Monona, Crawford, Harrison, Shelby and Pottawattamie.
Shriners Hospitals for Children
The Shrine's charitable arm is the Shriners Hospitals for Children, a network of twenty-two hospitals in the United States, Mexico and Canada. It was originally formed to treat young victims of polio, but as that disease was controlled, they broadened their scope. They now deal with orthopedic care, burn treatment, cleft lip and palate care and spinal cord injury rehabilitation. All treatment offered at Shriner's Hospitals for Children is offered without any financial obligation to patients and their families, and there is no requirement for religion, race, or relationship to a Shriner. Patients must be under the age of eighteen and treatable.
On March 27, 2013, Shriners Hospitals for Children — Twin Cities (SHC-TWI) announced it is a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network (MCCN).